Tips to Minimizing Holiday Accidents
- When placing decorations and displays, be mindful of traffic flow. Be sure that exit signs are not obscured and see that there is easy access to emergency exits.
- See that shelves are not over-stocked which could lead to products falling onto customers or staff causing injuries.
- Avoid trip-and-fall hazards presented by wires and cords in or near walkways, and be cautious with extension cords which, if strung together, could be a fire hazard.
- As you add holiday decorations to your facility, be mindful of fire risks. For example, take precautions such as using faux (battery-powered) candles to avoid open flames and keeping decorations such as wreaths, trees and other potentially flammable items away from heat sources that could ignite them.
- Make it a daily priority to inspect your facility to catch any safety hazards before they are allowed to cause accidents and injuries.
- Familiarize seasonal employees and any new hires with the workplace environment and be sure they understand their responsibilities.
- Train employees in proper lifting techniques and correct equipment use.
Business Insurance Tip
As a business owner, you’ll want to be as prepared as possible to avoid accidents in the workplace any time of year, but especially during the holidays which bring extra distractions. Perhaps you will want to consult with a risk management professional who can help you to keep your facility festive for the holidays while still avoiding accidents which lead to insurance claims. Sitting down with your insurance agent in advance to review your business insurance portfolio will allow you to know that you have sufficient coverage for any incident that should occur.
The Latimer Insurance Agency is a full-service insurance agency in Bethesda, Maryland (Montgomery County) offering business/commercial insurance, auto insurance for your vehicle, home insurance for homeowners, renters and condo dwellers, and life insurance to all of Maryland (MD), Virginia (VA) Pennsylvania (PA), Delaware (DE), New York (NY), West Virginia (WV), North Carolina (NC) and Washington DC since 1919. Our experienced insurance agents at our office Bethesda, Maryland (Montgomery County) welcome your inquiries and are glad to discuss your coverage needs at any time. The scope of your insurance coverage and options depend entirely upon the policy and the insurance company providing it. This website is not intended to advise, offer or bind coverage. You should always discuss your insurance issues with professionals such as a licensed and qualified insurance agent before making any decisions or choosing a course of action.